Diabetes Care Team
The Niagara North FHT coordinates a group of healthcare providers available to address any diabetes concerns you may have. Ask your health care provider for a referral, or check our Diabetes Care Team page for more information.
Diabetes Education Program
We currently offer a diabetes education program that is open to any adults living with Type 2 Diabetes or has been diagnosed with pre-diabetes in St Catharines-Thorold.
In order to be seen within the program, clients must either fill out a self-referral form or be referred by their physician.
- Our Workshops provide group learning on various diabetes related topics to expand your understanding of diabetes and how you can best manage it. Workshops are spaced 3 months apart and include a follow-up with the diabetes care team each time.
- Individual assessment and counseling is provided to help you work towards a plan that allows you to control your diabetes and prevent its complications.
- Ongoing follow up support for clients who require more individual support for their self-care management is available.
- Support is provided for those who require insulin to show you how to use it and how it will help improve your blood sugar levels.
Our Diabetes Care Team will provide foot assessments for our diabetic patients.
Appointments will include:
- diabetic screening of the nerves and blood vessels
- preventative diabetic foot-care advice
- referrals made if necessary
*Please note foot care will not be provided at this appointment – assessment only.
How to get involved:
St. Catharines – Call Laura at 905.988.9617 ext 226 to book an appointment or fill out our online program registration form.
Diabetes Support Program
This program is for you if:
You have Type 2 diabetes or are at risk for developing diabetes.
What the Diabetes Support Program has to offer:
The Diabetes Support Program provides diabetes self-management education, counseling and personalized support for individuals with diabetes. The program team consists of your family physician, registered nurse and registered dietitian who work collaboratively with other team members as necessary to provide evidence-based care.
The Diabetes Support Program provides opportunities to learn more about:
- Healthy Eating
- Physical Activity
- Blood sugar monitoring
- Diabetes medications and insulin
- Preventing and managing diabetes-related complications
How to get involved:
Niagara-on-the-Lake – If you would like to attend a group session or book an individual appointment with the Diabetes Care Team, please contact us at 905.468.2177 x1