Diabetes Care Team – St. Catharines
The Niagara North FHT coordinates a group of healthcare providers available to address any diabetes concerns you may have. We currently offer a diabetes education program that is open to any adults living in St. Catharines – Thorold with Type 2 Diabetes or who have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes.
- Individual assessment and counseling is provided to help you work towards a plan that allows you to control your diabetes and prevent its complications.
- Ongoing follow up support for clients who require more individual support for their self-care management is available.
- Support is provided for those who require insulin to show you how to use it and how it will help improve your blood sugar levels.
- For patients of our Diabetes Care Team we offer a Living Well with Diabetes workshop where participants will be given general information on diabetes and its management
- We also offer a Physical Activity Class, facilitated by a Registered Kinesiologist.
How to get involved:
In order to be seen, clients must either fill out a self-referral form or be referred by their physician.
Still have questions about the Diabetes Care Team? Call Laura at 905.988.9617 x 226
Diabetic Foot Assessments – St. Catharines
We also offer diabetic foot assessments for patients of the Diabetes Care Team.
Appointments will include:
- diabetic screening of the nerves and blood vessels
- preventative diabetic foot-care advice
- referrals made if necessary
*Please note foot care will not be provided at this appointment – assessment only.
Diabetes Support Program – Virgil
This program is for you if:
You have Type 2 diabetes or are at risk for developing diabetes.
What the Diabetes Support Program has to offer:
The Diabetes Support Program provides diabetes self-management education, counseling and personalized support for individuals with diabetes. The program team consists of your family physician, registered nurse and registered dietitian who work collaboratively with other team members as necessary to provide evidence-based care.
The Diabetes Support Program provides opportunities to learn more about:
- Healthy Eating
- Physical Activity
- Blood sugar monitoring
- Diabetes medications and insulin
- Preventing and managing diabetes-related complications
How to get involved:
Niagara-on-the-Lake – If you would like to attend a group session or book an individual appointment with the Diabetes Support Program, please contact us at 905.468.2177 x1