What is an Occupational Therapist?
Occupational Therapists (OTs) are healthcare professionals who aim to help people across the lifespan participate in the things they want and need to do through the therapeutic use of everyday activities.
Watch a brief video below to hear from our very own OT, Kayla Meissner, who explains what an OT is and how OTs can help you!
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE Occupational therapist IN THE NIAGARA NORTH FAMILY HEALTH TEAM?
OTs focus on function with the goal to enable individuals to lead meaningful, purposeful and productive lives.
WHO SHOULD BE REFERRED TO OT?
Clients who require further education/support regarding:
- Activities of Daily Living/Instrumental Activities of Daily Living
- Fall Prevention/Home Safety
- Energy Conservation (management of physical activity)
- Sleep Hygiene (abnormal sleep patterns)
- Chronic Pain
- Anxiety/Depression (associated with pain, mobility and/or decreased engagement in activities)
- Stress Management
- Child Health (printing, sensory, self-regulation needs for school aged children)
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS THE SERVICES OF OUR OT?
Speak to your Family Doctor about a referral to our OT or give us a call for more information.
Virgil/Niagara-on-the-Lake – 289.272.0180
✓ This service is open to all patients of the Niagara North Family Health Team