In Ontario, Registered Nurses in the Extended Class, also known as Nurse Practitioners (NPs), are registered nurses with additional education and experience who are able to order and interpret diagnostic tests, communicate diagnoses, prescribe medications and perform specific procedures.
NPs work collaboratively with many other health professionals. In particular, they consult with physicians, as required by the needs of their patients.
Primary Health Care NPs
Primary Health Care NPs generally work in community settings and provide general primary health care services to people of all ages. Examples of the types of health care services provided by primary health care NPs include:
- Patient counselling (e.g., mental health, family planning)
- Health promotion (e.g., smoking cessation, BP management)
- Immunization against disease, screening for diseases
- Treatment of acute illnesses (e.g., infections, minor injuries)
- Monitor patients with chronic conditions (e.g., diabetes, COPD, Hypertension)
- Referrals to other health care services (e.g, home care, social services)
Niagara-on-the-Lake Garrison Village
Jane Carson – Nurse Practitioner
Lois Barlow – Nurse Practitioner
Erin Jarvis – Nurse Practitioner
Elise Suhadolc – Nurse Practitioner (Mat leave)
Samuel Knight – Nurse Practitioner
Susan Miyata – Nurse Practitioner
Niagara Family Health Centre Site
TBD – Nurse Practitioner
How Can You Access the Services of Our Nurse Practitioners?
Please call your family doctor’s office to schedule an appointment with one of our nurse practitioners.
For more information on our St. Catharines Nurse Practitioners, call Laura at 905.988.9617 x226.
For more information on our Virgil Nurse Practitioners, call 289.272.0180.